Saturday, December 1, 2007

Vision Loss Redux Part V

Well, if you made it all the way through my Dr. Seuss impression, you already know that I have been "diagnosed" with Susac's syndrome.

I put this term in quotes because I have become acutely aware of the game of 20 questions that is medicine. Once you get to the end of the checklist of symptom/disease correlation, the doctor looks at you with a blank and (if he's good) frustrated expression and says, "I don't know."

Thankfully, Dr. Singh is one of those sincere, resilient doctors who did not just ship me off when I took up too much of his time. But he too is at the end of his expertise.

So, I trot down the yellow brick road to another obviously very intelligent wizard at Wills Eye. Wisely looking at my whole range of symptoms that started the day I moved to PA (I am firmly refusing to see causation instead of mere correlation), he believes that I have this extremely rare syndrome. If the diagnosis is correct, and my amazing mathematical skills haven't failed me, the chances that I have this are 1 in 20 million or so...mom always said I was special!

What's next? I figured you'd ask that. I'm planning on sending my records to another doctor for another look. I think I've undergone most every test there is to take for the head, so it'll just be attempting to gain access to another doctor's experiences and sleuthing capabilities, and seeking ways to avoid ingesting rat poison for the rest of my life.

No comments: