Thursday, December 20, 2007

Leadership Tip 1.1

1.1 Edification

Yesterday's tip emphasized encouragement as form of edification. Did you do it? Oh come on...you couldn't find one person to compliment or encourage? Oh, you forgot? You were depressed because all the snow is going to disappear just in time for Christmas (around here)?

A general rule of thumb that you ought to follow is this: You are not a victim. There are always circumstances that you control, and in those areas, you are not a victim. Yes, stuff happens...to everyone. Some get it much worse and some have it easier, but there is alway an area in which you are not a victim.

Though I've not read it (I intend to soon), The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a great example of what I'm talking about. The man suffered a severe stroke leaving him immobile except for blinking one eye. He wrote a book. He would have been justified in being victimized...but he chose what he could control and acted. He was not a victim.

So, are you a victim of your mood, your poor memory or your lack of motivation? You are not a victim. Identify the problem and take specific and routine measures to change. Easy? No, and if you're like me, you'll mess up every day...but you are not a victim.

Takeaway: You are not a victim (did you guess this one?)

Action Step: Go to Leadership Tip 1 and repeat.

1 comment:

Susan (Tubbs) Canady said...

I am always amazed (usually in retrospect) at what I will choose to justify or excuse. I do it almost every day when my alarm goes off. In my head I will go through this elaborate explanation as to why it would not only be accepted to sleep 15 more minutes, but also be more productive than getting up at that moment. At the end of my speech to myself I contentedly drift back into sleep world, completely justified and completely guilt-free...until I'm jolted awake again and realize now I will be late and why did I sleep in again? Half the time I don't remember my thought process from the first time I woke up, then other times when I do remember it's quite comical to think that it actually made sense to me the first time around. This is a silly example, but all that to say that I do know that I make a poor case of excuses when my mind tells me I should do something I am uncomfortable with (i.e. show care and concern when consumed with my own problems). Anyways, thanks for the tip. Keep 'em comin'.